So back in January I shared with you How to Potty Train Twins. The twinesses were three years old and we graduated from diapers to pull ups at night only. Well now they are ready for yet another transition…conquering bed wetting! So here are my bed wetting solutions straight from my twin momma heart. Banish bed wetting for good!
1) Have a consistent night time routine
I did a post recently on our evening routine complete with video so you can watch that for more details. But its very important for kids to have routine. Ours consists of
- Bath, Brush Teeth, Potty
- Lotion up (this is really important in our house as one of the twins has eczema stay tuned for a post ways to deal with your child’s eczema)
- GoodNites TruFit
- Lights out (well night light and music playing)
2) Limit Liquids
No liquids 2 hours before bedtime. In our house dinner time is the end of liquids, the girls know that once they brush their teeth there is no more juice or water to be had. If they are thirsty an ice cube is a great alternative to a glass of water (shout out to my friend Chenier for that tip!). For some reason my girls love ice cubes and i know one cube is not that much liquid
3) Leave the light on
I always leave the bathroom light on for the twincesses. luckily their bathroom is right next to their room so its not a far trek for them in the middle of the night. I am sure they have not only light but that the step stool is in front of the toilet and they are ready to go.
4) Encourage don’t Punish
Its really important to not punish your child for something that is natural, especially in this age group. Blaming and getting angry can often make the problem worse, try encouraging and even rewarding for good outcomes. Incentive charts are a great option as well. Stickers and lollipops are pretty much a staple in any moms arsenal right?
5) Don’t forget Number two
Constipation affects bladder control, so be sure that your child is having regular bowel movements as well. Otherwise load them up with fiber to get that ball rolling.
6) Moisture Alarm
There are moisture alarms available now. They are able to detect the first sign of moisture and wake your child up immediately. If you are up for the $100 investment give it a try.
7) GoodNites Trufit
I recently purchased the GoodNites Trufit Starter Pack from CVS. I love shopping at CVS because I can just pop in and out quickly and they always have awesome coupons. Speaking of coupons you can grab these two $4 off coupons for your own GoodNites Trufit.
There are several reasons I really love this product:
- Real Underwear: GoodNites TruFit is not a diaper-type product its actually a soft fabric underwear that can be washed over and over in the washing machine. You simply remove the absorbent inserts, wash the underwear, insert the new insert and wear again! The twincesses feel like big girls wearing real panties to bed.
- Confidence: The twincesses only wear pull ups at night and one of the girls rarely ever has a wet pull up in the morning, but the other is always wet. It leaves her feeling self conscious that her sister is doing better than she is at night time potty training. Being twins they find it hard not to compare and compete against each other at everything, even bed wetting. This competition can be good or it can really hurt their self esteem. Being able to wear ‘panties’ to bed builds her self esteem because she feels like a ‘big girl’. This is important because even though they are twins all children develop skills like bladder control at different ages.
- Not just helpful at night: Don’t just think night time with this product. I used it for travel, who on earth wants to use a airplane lavatory with twins? Or outdoor events where the only options are port a potties (that ain’t happening either). Great for sleepovers, so your child won’t feel uncomfortable when all the other kids are wearing underwear. The options are endless!
So now that bed wetting is conquered, looks like the twincesses are working on how to stay up all night on their tablet!
What are some bed wetting solutions that work for you and your kids? I’d love to hear how the GoodNites TruFit Starter Pack would be put to use in your home! Don’t forget your coupons to give it a try two $4 off coupons for coupon for your own GoodNites Trufit.