So I’ve already told you about the amazing event this month called Movember which raises awareness for men’s issues. If you haven’t checked out that post please do so you can see how you can help today! But now I want to share my own story, or rather my Dad’s prostate cancer story.
My dad was diagnosed last year with prostate cancer. And I must say making the decision to go and get a prostate exam is one that my dad, like many other men, avoided for some time. Its uncomfortable of course, but knowledge is power! My dad and I really want to encourage all men to do this important screening. In fact if you are reading this right now, pick up the phone and make the appointment, or ladies pick up the phone FOR your guy and make that call, it could just save their life. Did you know:
While it was a hard pill to swallow hearing that he had prostate cancer, and even further that chemo, radiation and surgery were no longer options, I am so very proud of my dad for literally turning his health around! He is the healthiest he has ever been, minus that pesky tumor of course. The thing that makes me most proud of my dad is that he never gave up, he decided to take control of his own health and he has been inspiring me to do the same. We hope that he will also inspire you. No matter how bleak things may look, you always have hope and there is always time to take action. My dad has been paying more attention to his body, he is very aware of what he consumes and what is in his environment. Here are some of the things my dad has done to take control of his health:
- Vegan diet: no meat or diary
- Reduce sugar, salt and fried foods
- Supplements: essiac tea, green tea, apricot seeds, honey and aloe supplement, turmeric, ginger, milk thistle, dandelion, vitamin C, iodine
- Stay positive and stay knowledgeable: my dad subscribes to YouTube channels such as The Truth about Cancer, The Cancer Tutor, Budwig diet, and Chris beats Cancer.
We just want to tell you the power of staying positive and playing an active role in your own health. I encourage you to share your story with others, and to encourage a guy today to go to the doctor. And in celebration of Movember, I’ll share my dad and I’s first picture where he was sporting a mustache!
How You Can Help!
Lennox partners with Movember every year to help spread the word and raise awareness about men’s health issues. And get this, for every share on the Lennox Facebook page and Twitter page during the month of November, Lennox will donate $2 to men’s health issues. On Instagram, for every like or comment, Lennox will donate $2 as well.
And it’s so simple for you to help just:
- Visit the Lennox Facebook Page and SHARE some of their content to raise awareness about this amazing cause. (Here’s the post I’ve been sharing)
- Visit the Lennox Instagam Page and like and comment on their Movember posts (Here’s a funny Instagram picture I’ve liked)
- Visit the Lennox Twitter Page and retweet the Movement content (Here’s the post I’ve been sharing from Twitter)
- Of course you can check out the Lennox Movember page and donate directly as well.
- Tell a guy you know! Encourage at least one guy in your life to visit the doctor or get more exercise.